Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 - The Year in Review (Music)

       I am sure that there was a whole lot of beautiful, awe inspiring music in 2014......I just didn't get to hear it. This is not to say that I didn't listen to music in 2014....it's just that most of the music I listened to was made years ago, but one 2014 song did stay on my mind...and caught on with a millions of people around the world....it is the #1 song of 2014 "Happy" by Pharell Williams.  Listening to this song does actually make you happy. I will never forget the first time I heard it at
East Side High School in Newark. The song was played continuously over the public address system the morning after the school's basketball team won a significant game. Have you ever been in a place where hundreds of people are in a good mood with smiles on their faces?  .....well that's how it was at East Side High School that particular morning.
        I was also presently surprised to the that 36 African nations have their own version of this song.
This was an authentic R&B song, definitely not today's R&B. You can clearly hear the message, their is absolutely no profanity. It's just like something you would hear on the radio in the 60s or 70s.  Williams voice is similar to that of Curtis Mayfield on this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment